First Aid for a Basketball injury (or any other sprain, strain, tear or torn ligament or tendon.
(If you majorly injure yourself, do this on the way to the hospital.)
- Arnica Montana 30C (ASAFP - as soon as freaking possible) Do this every 15 minutes - 1 pellet under the tongue is all you need despite the labels indication for 5. Allow to dissolve under the tongue completely.
- Arnica Montana Gel or Ointment topically. Do this several times over 3-4 hours.
- Alternate Ice pack and a compress of healing herbs every 20 minutes.
- Ruta Graveolens 30C is specific to injured ligaments and tendons so if this applies to your injury, alternate the two remedies every 15 minutes for the first couple of hours.
What Herbs can you use?
I had the herb St. Johns Wort on hand which is known for it's uses in depression but is a very important topical healer. - Especially with open wounds. While this is NOT an open wound, it's what I have. Other wonderful topical healing herbs for sprains, strains, bruises or injury are:
- Chickweed Leaves and flowers
- Comfrey Leaf
- You could also use Plantain Leaf in a pinch as it's so readily available.
Apply these topically in a poultice form. I take a pillow case, brew the herbs like tea for 20 minutes, place wet herbs inside pillowcase and place directly against the skin as a compress.
Use what you got herbal guys and gals!
Other homeopathic remedies that are indicated for sprains, strains and injuries: Arnica Montana, Ruta Graveolens, Rhus Tox, Bryonia, and Apis. (All depends on the corresponding symptoms. The link below explains them all and then some.
Apply pressure with an icepack for 20 minutes on, 20 minutes off. I like to alternate with the herbal compress. Remember R.I.C.E for injuries: Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation. After the first 48 hours or so you can apply mild heat to encourage healing. Continue the homeopathic remedies for several days and for any re-injury events.