Natural dog treats are not cheap.
I can buy a $12 bag of natural dog treats and Buckley, my Australian Shepherd Poodle mix will blow through those in like 4 days. When you're trying to train your dog you need treats, and A LOT of them. The solution? Homemade dog treats that are natural and that don't break the doggy bank.
The verdict on this recipe? Fantastic!
It is hands down the treat that he is most excited about of all the treats I've purchased. This is massively important if you want to get and keep your doggy's attention when your training. Here's what you need:
- 1 Can Organic Pumpkin (no sugar obviously!)
- 2 Cups Coconut Fluor
- 3-4 tbsp of Almond Butter
- 3 Pastured eggs or organically raised if that's what you have
- 1 Healthy drizzle of olive oil
- 2 tbsp maple syrup (for fun)
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast (nutritional, keeps flees away!)
- A generous dash of cinnamon
- Small sprinkle of celtic sea salt
- Mix everything together. It will be pretty thick
- Grease the pan with a little olive oil and plop the dough down using a rolling pin or your hands to flatten it out on the cookie sheet to about 1/2 and inch to 3/4 inch thick.
Then bake at 350º for 40 minutes. It will smell lovely like a cookie and have a cracked top. It's easy to take a hard spatula and shovel out large sheets of doggy biscuit. I cooled them on a cookie rack and then put some in a small container to have available to use and the rest in the freezer.
Voila! These are easy, fun and my Buckers loves them. I hope your furry friend does too!