A friend reached out about acne, hormonal balance & the fallout from a miscarriage last year.
Here's my suggestions to her and anyone looking to balance hormones, cleanse the body and prepare for pregnancy after miscarriage. Please email me at email@example.com for more information for you specifically. Everyone is different and needs individual programs and considerations before beginning a regiment.
Disclaimer: These suggestions below are JUST suggestions. If you need emergency assistance go to the hospital or seek healthcare from your doctor.
Here's my message to her:
"I'm so sorry to hear about the miscarriage. It must be a roller-coaster of emotion and I'd like to suggest beginning to take a Bach Flower remedy for this which is Rescue Remedy daily. It is for emotions only. Stress, anger, fear, trauma, shock and other extreme emotions. This is WONDERFUL stuff!
How to use it & why I like it:
- 1 drop in your water or on the tongue or even on the skin if you don't like the taste as needed.
- Use it everyday AND at any point in the day when you feel stress, anger, sadness, loss or fear.
- This will help your body energetically deal with these traumatic events so that you can normalize faster.
- I LOVE rescue remedy! I used it a ton when my brother died in a car accident in 2008, it was so helpful.
- Completely safe and side-effect free.
This info may be overwhelming. You don't have to do ALL of it to improve your health but the more you can incorporate and still enjoy life - the faster you achieve balance. I made a list of everything I thought of for hormonal balance and acne. You may be doing some of these already and if so then GREAT!
Without having a one on one session with a person, these are educated guesses of what may help. Each person is different in what they need. No two are alike! Seek the assistance of a Naturopath in your area for best results.
Make sure you are having at least 1 BM everyday- If you aren't please reach out so I can suggest ways to get moving! (haha) What is helpful is drinking HALF your body weight in ounces of clear purified water each day. You'll need fiber, veggies, fruit, raw nuts & oils to get it going. If the channels of elimination are not open, the toxins start to exit the skin instead.
Doing all this but still not pooping? Look into having some bodywork done. A massage, craniosacral therapy or other bodyworks such as meridian/chakra work. Every 2 weeks for a few months for best results.
Here's my skin health & hormonal balance checklist:
- water- half your weight in ounces per day
- oils- 6 tablespoons per day of flax, fish, borage, hemp for 2 weeks
- after two weeks cut back oils to 3 tablespoons
- burdock root tincture/detoxifier (60 drops 2 times daily for 2 weeks in water)
- after 2 weeks do 30 drops per day indefinitely
- chaste berry formula/hormonal balancer (60 drops 2 times daily for 2 weeks in water)
- after 2 weeks do 30 drops per day indefinitely
- Spirulina 1-2 tablespoons per day in smoothie
- Chia Seed 1-2 tablespoons per day in smoothie (Excellent recipe here)
- Lymphatic massage (professional and or self massage in shower)
- Colon Hydrotherapy (cleansing to the bowels, liver, blood and skin)
- Vitamin C/ free radical scavenger, lowers inflammation, immune system health
- Magnesium Citrate Powder at night before bed/ helps sleep, stress, absorption of nutrients and promotes regular bowel movements:)
- Seek the assistance of a Natural Health professional for best results.
There are a few things that come to mind. First of all soda addiction. Try trading one addiction for another! There are wonderful herbal teas (obviously I'm a fan). It's about finding one that you like the taste of. If you just gotta have something carbonated opt for something healthier. There is info in this blog post about kicking the diet soda/soda addiction. Hansen's soda actually makes some yummy natural soda's too. They are obviously more expensive but it's worth it to not get the crap in regular soda or diet soda:)
If you are trying to get pregnant and still wrangling with health issues, my suggestion is to put that on hold for 6 months to get your body and mind closer to balance. It will make the pregnancy easier and makes for great babies! You have plenty of time! Your body is speaking to you in the only language it knows- symptoms:) Listen to what it's saying; the state of your body is crucial to a fit pregnancy so take a little extra time if you can.
As far as your hormonal balance and skin: The Devil's in the Details:
A LOT of healthy fats- borage oil is an excellent one for female hormone balancing- it's just a bit on the expensive side. So you could do a little of this to ration it and do alot of fish flax or hemp oil. I'm a fan of fish and hemp. Shoot for a combination of around 6 tablespoons per day for 2 weeks. I know this sounds like alot but it can't hurt you and this will expedite the saturation of your cells with healthy fats. If cells are well lubricated they receive nutrients better and they excrete wastes better. I also like Evening Primrose Oil and Black Current Oil - especially for female hormone balance. These are a bit pricier but I think its worth it! Purchase these in capsules.
Hemp oil is great in salad dressings as is flax oil. Whatever oil you choose, make sure your getting 2-4 tbsp per day or a combination of several oils to equal this amount. You won't have to do this amount forever. Stick to it for a month, then cut this amount in half. Below is a yummy homemade dressing recipe that I just did earlier this week-
Homemade Sweet Ginger Dressing
- 1 part Apple Cider Vinegar by Braggs.
- 3 part Hemp Oil by Nutiva. Add 1-2 tbsp Sesame Oil.
- Use Crushed Dried Thyme & Oregano.
- Add Celtic Sea Salt (begin with 1/2 tsp & increase to taste.
- 5-6 slices of Organic Ginger & 2-3 tbsp Organic Sugar.
- Use Stevia instead, just add a sprinkle at a time so you don't overdo it.
- Best after 2 days. Refrigerate for up to 3 weeks.
Vitamin C- not just for immune health, vitamin c lowers inflammation, scavenges for free radicals causing acne and can help balance your pH which is off when your body is dealing with something like this. - Plus it will keep you from getting sick too:) Take 3 of these per day. 2 in the AM, 1 in the PM.
What about acne? The bowels MUST be open to accomplish skin cleansing. If you aren't pooping at least once a day, this is the FIRST thing I would do above anything else. The oils will definitely lube the tube and help with more regular BM's. However if your like me and you are inconsistent in this department, I would recommend doing Chia seed daily 2 tbsp daily (soak them first for 1-2 hours) OR over night if this is easier. They can be soaked over night in the fridge in water (about 2 cups or whatever you'll use in a smoothie). This softens them- makes them excellent smoothie material and the WILL make you poo like a champion.
Magesium Citrate Powder: For healthy bowel movements, stress management and absorption of other nutrients. - AND it will help you get better sleep:) 1 scoop each night in hot water before bed.
Spirulina is helpful in this area also, blood cleansing, high in vegetarian protein, high in almost every amino acid...This is my favorite brand:)
This will help cleanse the blood, organs, AND skin! Very important to do this daily (about 1 heaping tablespoon of spirulina is good. It's great for energy too if this is lacking.
Lymphatic massage would be good. Doing lymphatic massage in the shower is really a great way to self treat! It must be done daily. Massage up the arms towards armpits with soap. Massage the breasts, massage up the thighs towards the pubic area. All the lymphatic drainage points are there waiting patiently for wastes to eliminate. The lymphatic system has NO pump- so we must do the pumping with exercise and manipulation.
HERBALS FOR SKIN & HORMONAL BALANCE:
- Chaste Berry Formula: Hormonal balancer for women. Balances estrogen and progesterone, supports entire endocrine (glandular) system, cleanse uterus, good for PMS, helps with polycystic ovary syndrome.
- Burdock: Blood cleanser, used for acne and boils, helps to metabolize fat as it balances appetite.
Good Herbs is an herbal company in Troy Michigan and they are exceptionally good. If you are in the neighborhood, you can call them, order and pick up from them to avoid shipping. The shipping is $10 up to $150 so my suggestion is to get a 4oz bottle as you will need to use it for 3 months or more to make the hormonal changes necessary and do the blood cleansing necessary.
Can't do it all? That is totally understandable! If nothing else do the oils, hormone balancers and drink alot of water. The bowels, liver and blood must be cleansed and balance restored to the endocrine system to regulate what is happening.
Please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org if the focus is PURELY for avoidance of future miscarriages. Another formula I'd like to recommend by Good Herbs is called Female Formula. Do this instead of the Chaste berry Formula for the added benefit of adrenal, reproductive & glandular support. This will natural strengthen hormonal balance. Wild Yam is a wonderful miscarriage preventative and balancing herb for woman.